How to ask someone to be your mentor? Well, I want to congratulate you first that you are asking that question, a few people do. It takes courage and humility to ask another human to help you improve. Some people are too selfish and egocentric to ask for guidance and admit they’re wrong. Now if you’re ready for a mentor let’s see the main points and how can you get started with one.
What does a mentor do?
A mentor is a person who masters a subject or field, he provides guidance, motivation, emotional support, and role modeling to his students. He may help with exploring careers, setting goals, developing contacts, and identifying resources. The mentor role may change as the needs of the industry, the shifts in the market need, and what his students want and need.
Business mentorship programs
- From owner to CEO – This is our in house training. The mentor Ana, is a business woman with more than 15 years of experience in the field. She has a degree in business and finance plus years of failures, successes and lessons. This training is focused on the leader, it gives him the tools, resources, mindset and trainings that he needs to improve as a person, leader, his management, expenses, relationship with money and people.
- SCORE free programs: score is a non profit that help small businesses. The teachers or mentors are retired expert fields that give a few hours for free. This can get you started but it is for short term.
- Udemy mini courses: You can go to this website and find an expert in basically any field. Udemy is a platform that holds millions of courses on many topics, created by experts. Although this courses may get you started they are short and will speak about the a small part of the area, you will need further work.
Benefits of a mentor program
How to be a mentor
Anyone can master a subject, can be devoted to being an expert in a field, but that doesn’t make you a mentor. You need to care for others and learn how to use what you know and your experience to the service of others, here is a list of mentorship requirements.
Here are a few requests to become a mentor:
- Master a subject
- Be dedicated to your students
- Have a patient personality
- have a strong need to help other people
- Learn how to listen
- Never judge your students
- Always give feedback and use it as a tool for improvement
Questions to ask your mentor
- What’s the best advice you can give to help plan a career rather than simply work to keep a job?
- How do you encourage innovative ideas?
- How would you describe your personal style?
- Do you have a mentor? How have they influenced you?
- What do you do to constantly challenge your underlying beliefs and assumptions?
- Would you do anything differently if given the opportunity?
- How and where do you find inspiration?
- How do you keep your feelings separate from your decision-making?
- What values are you committed to?
- How do you balance your work and home life?
- Do you have any books that you would suggest I read?
The sales mentor
is a person who masters sales. He has done more than 30 successful sales and has developed a pattern and process to follow. He knows shares that process with others. Sales are about understanding the wants and needs of humans, and learning that a no means fear and how to turn it into a yes that means trust. A sales mentor teaches his students self-confidence, personal development, and sales. Remember that if you truly know how to sell you can sell anything, you just adapt the method, at the end, you are dealing with humans.